What types of plans are available?
TravelStar® offers two types of emergency medical travel insurance policies, designed with certain types of travellers in mind.
This plan is intended for travellers taking a single trip, and it allows you to purchase coverage for trips of up to one year (365 days) in length. If necessary, you can supplement your coverage with benefits from other insurance policies.
Multi-Trip Annual Plan
This plan is intended for snowbirds and people who travel more frequently. It provides you with a year’s worth of coverage for a limitless number of trips. You can purchase 15 or 30 days of coverage at a time and top it up with the TravelStar® Single-Trip Plan.
What is included in Emergency Medical Coverage plan?
Like a good navigator, GMS’s emergency medical travel insurance guides you through various medical emergencies you might experience while on vacation. Out-of-pocket expenses for emergency treatments can add up quickly, and the TravelStar® plan helps keep more of your money in your wallet with its coverage. You policy includes:
- Up to $5 million worth of coverage
- Round-the-clock travel assistance available in multiple languages
- Various fundamental benefits, such as emergency medical transportation, hospital stays and emergency dental treatment
What benefits does the TravelStar® plan offer?
Your GMS TravelStar® emergency medical travel insurance policy features several useful benefits, including:
- Air Ambulance – Provides up to $20,000 of coverage for air-based emergency medical transportation in areas not accessible by ground transportation.
- Child Care Coverage – Provides up to $500 of licensed care for younger dependents if you spend 48 or more hours in the hospital.
- Continuation of Coverage – The coverage provided by your policy will continue when you return to your destination if you had suddenly had to return to your home country or province at some point during your trip.
- Diagnostic Services Coverage – Provides coverage for essential diagnostic services, such as x-rays
- Emergency Dental Services Coverage – Provides up to $2,000 of coverage for dental procedures required as a result of an accident, plus $250 of coverage for dental pain treatment and relief.
- Family or Friend to bedside – Provides up to $3,000 to cover the cost of round-trip economy airfare for a relative or friend to remain at your bedside while you are hospitalized. Also provides up to $150 of coverage per day ($750 maximum) for incidental expenses for said friend or relative.
- Health Practitioners – Provides up to $300 per visit to licensed health practitioners, including chiropractors, physiotherapists, podiatrists, chiropodists and osteopaths.
- Hospitalization Coverage – Provides coverage for costs incurred by hospital stays (up to semi-private hospital rooms) and associated services and equipment required for emergency care
- In the Event of Death – Provides up to $2,000 to cover round-trip economy airfare for a relative to travel to your destination to identify your remains in the event of death
- Medical Services Coverage – Provides coverage for the rental of necessary medical equipment, including canes, crutches, wheelchairs and other devices
- Out-of-Pocket Expense Coverage – Provides up to $150 per day ($1,000 maximum) to cover all incidental costs incurred by an accompanying relative if you are hospitalized on the date of your expected return to Canada
- Prescription Drug Coverage – Provides coverage for drug and medication prescriptions of up to 30 days and coverage of up to $50 if your prescriptions are lost, damaged or stolen
- Private Duty Nursing Coverage – Provides up to $5,000 of coverage per person for private duty nursing services required during hospitalization.
- Remote Evacuation Coverage – Provides up to $20,000 of coverage for evacuation to the closest hospital for treatment of life-threatening ailments from areas not accessible by ground transportation.
- Repatriation Coverage – Provides coverage for the use of an airline or air ambulance service to return to your country or province of origin for supplementary medical treatment in a hospital.
- Return and Escort of Dependent Child or Grandchild – Provides coverage for one-way economy airfare to return a child or grandchild along with an escort, if necessary, to your point of origin.
- Return of Family Member – Provides up to $1,000 of coverage for one-way economy airfare on the most direct route for one relative to return with you to your point of departure. Applicable only if GMS requires that you return to your country or province of origin for supplemental treatment, or if you pass away unexpectedly.
- Return of Pets – Provides up to $300 to return your cat or dog to your point of origin. Applicable only if GMS requested you return to your home country or province for additional medical treatment.
- Return of Remains – Provides up to $7,000 of coverage to arrange for the transportation of your remains to your country or province of origin, or $3,000 of coverage for burial and cremation at your place of death.
- Return of Vehicle – Provides up to $2,000 of coverage of the cost to return your vehicle to your point of origin if you or your fellow travellers are incapable of doing so.
- Road Ambulance Transportation Coverage – Provides full coverage for road-based emergency medical transportation.
- Special Attendant – Provides coverage for return-trip economy airfare for a designated medical attendant to escort you back to your country or province of origin.
Where can I get GMS Emergency Medical Coverage
Like most GMS’s travel insurance products, the TravelStar® plan is available from most insurance brokers. You can also compare travel quotes in minutes direct to your inbox to view your options before making a purchase.
Other GMS Products
Learn more about GMS’s other insurance offerings.
BasicPlan is an affordable GMS health insurance product that is designed to cover for unexpected emergencies, including those fundamental health benefits not covered under your provincial health plan, such as ambulance services, preferred hospital rooms and in-hospital drugs. This plan is upgrade-able if ever you want to add prescription drug and dental coverage, and hospital cash to cover out-of-pocket expenses when you have an extended hospital stay.
OmniPlan is a superior GMS health insurance product that provides extensive health benefit coverage including health practitioner services like physiotherapy and massage therapy, vision care, and glasses. This plan is upgrade-able if ever you want to add prescription drug and dental coverage, and hospital cash to cover out-of-pocket expenses when you have an extended hospital stay.
PremierPlan is the most comprehensive GMS replacement health benefits package that is designed for Canadians who wants greater coverage for prescription drugs, dental, vision, physio, massage and travel emergency medical insurance for longer trips!
StudentPlan is a GMS travel insurance product that is designed for Canadian students (available to under age 55) that want to study outside of their province of residence or country of residence. This plan can helps fill those gaps helping you and your family feel safe so you can focus on your education.
GMS Immigrants & Visitors to Canada is a GMS travel insurance product that is designed for Immigrants & Visitors to Canada that want to have a peace of mind during their entire stay in Canada. You can choose the amount of insurance coverage between $25,000, $50,000, $100,000 or $150,000 in total.
You’re not truly ready for the vacation of a lifetime if you don’t have Emergency Medical Travel Coverage. In addition to travel plans, GMS offers a host of other insurance products that provide varying levels of coverage. Check out the links below to learn more.
Travel insurance coverage starts as low as $2.50 USD per day. It's one of the most important investments you can ...
Anything can happen when you plan a trip to the Bahamas or any other exotic place on a cruise. You ...
Planning a vacation is one of life's great pleasures. If you're lucky enough to travel internationally, you're choosing flights, picking ...
Canada got 21 million visitors last year alone. If Canada is your dream destination, take the trip without a second ...
An estimated 26.5 million Canadians traveled abroad last year. Around half going a short distance across the U.S. border, with ...
A study conducted in Canada revealed that most people have shallow knowledge of travel insurance. A whopping 99 percent of ...
Need a GMS Emergency Medical Coverage Quote?
Insurdinary provides a comprehensive quotes comparison sends straight to your inbox so you can start comparing coverage in minutes. See plans from several major Canadian insurers to choose the right option for you. Our customer insurance specialists are also available to address your questions and concerns.
For more information, you may contact us at 1-877-574-7475, or complete the form below.