What types of plans are available?
TravelStar® offers two types of emergency medical travel insurance policies, designed with certain types of travellers in mind.
This plan is intended for travellers taking a single trip, and it allows you to purchase coverage for trips of up to one year (365 days) in length. If necessary, you can supplement your coverage with benefits from other insurance policies.
Multi-Trip Annual Plan
This plan is intended for snowbirds and people who travel more frequently. It provides you with a year’s worth of coverage for a limitless number of trips. You can purchase 15 or 30 days of coverage at a time and top it up with the TravelStar® Single-Trip Plan.
What is included in this coverage?
Like a good navigator, GMS’s emergency medical travel insurance guides you through various medical emergencies you might experience while on vacation. Out-of-pocket expenses for emergency treatments can add up quickly, and the TravelStar® plan helps keep more of your money in your wallet with its coverage. Your policy includes:
- Up to $5 million worth of coverage
- Round-the-clock travel assistance available in multiple languages
- Various fundamental benefits, such as emergency medical transportation, hospital stays and emergency dental treatment
What benefits does the TravelStar® plan offer?
Your GMS TravelStar® emergency medical travel insurance policy features several useful benefits, including:
- Air Ambulance - Provides up to $20,000 of coverage for air-based emergency medical transportation in areas not accessible by ground transportation.
- Child Care Coverage - Provides up to $500 of licensed care for younger dependents if you spend 48 or more hours in the hospital.
- Continuation of Coverage - The coverage provided by your policy will continue when you return to your destination if you had suddenly had to return to your home country or province at some point during your trip.
- Diagnostic Services Coverage - Provides coverage for essential diagnostic services, such as x-rays
- Emergency Dental Services Coverage - Provides up to $2,000 of coverage for dental procedures required as a result of an accident, plus $250 of coverage for dental pain treatment and relief.
- Family or Friend to bedside - Provides up to $3,000 to cover the cost of round-trip economy airfare for a relative or friend to remain at your bedside while you are hospitalized. Also provides up to $150 of coverage per day ($750 maximum) for incidental expenses for said friend or relative.
- Health Practitioners - Provides up to $300 per visit to licensed health practitioners, including chiropractors, physiotherapists, podiatrists, chiropodists and osteopaths.
- Hospitalization Coverage - Provides coverage for costs incurred by hospital stays (up to semi-private hospital rooms) and associated services and equipment required for emergency care
- In the Event of Death - Provides up to $2,000 to cover round-trip economy airfare for a relative to travel to your destination to identify your remains in the event of death
- Medical Services Coverage - Provides coverage for the rental of necessary medical equipment, including canes, crutches, wheelchairs and other devices
- Out-of-Pocket Expense Coverage - Provides up to $150 per day ($1,000 maximum) to cover all incidental costs incurred by an accompanying relative if you are hospitalized on the date of your expected return to Canada
- Prescription Drug Coverage - Provides coverage for drug and medication prescriptions of up to 30 days and coverage of up to $50 if your prescriptions are lost, damaged or stolen
- Private Duty Nursing Coverage - Provides up to $5,000 of coverage per person for private duty nursing services required during hospitalization.
- Remote Evacuation Coverage - Provides up to $20,000 of coverage for evacuation to the closest hospital for treatment of life-threatening ailments from areas not accessible by ground transportation.
- Repatriation Coverage - Provides coverage for the use of an airline or air ambulance service to return to your country or province of origin for supplementary medical treatment in a hospital.
- Return and Escort of Dependent Child or Grandchild - Provides coverage for one-way economy airfare to return a child or grandchild along with an escort, if necessary, to your point of origin.
- Return of Family Member - Provides up to $1,000 of coverage for one-way economy airfare on the most direct route for one relative to return with you to your point of departure. Applicable only if GMS requires that you return to your country or province of origin for supplemental treatment, or if you pass away unexpectedly.
- Return of Pets - Provides up to $300 to return your cat or dog to your point of origin. Applicable only if GMS requested you return to your home country or province for additional medical treatment.
- Return of Remains - Provides up to $7,000 of coverage to arrange for the transportation of your remains to your country or province of origin, or $3,000 of coverage for burial and cremation at your place of death.
- Return of Vehicle - Provides up to $2,000 of coverage of the cost to return your vehicle to your point of origin if you or your fellow travellers are incapable of doing so.
- Road Ambulance Transportation Coverage - Provides full coverage for road-based emergency medical transportation.
- Special Attendant - Provides coverage for return-trip economy airfare for a designated medical attendant to escort you back to your country or province of origin.
Where can I get this Coverage?
Like most of GMS's travel insurance products, the TravelStar® plan is available from most insurance brokers. You can also compare travel quotes in minutes direct to your inbox to view your options before making a purchase.
Learn more about health insurance from these informative articles to help you decide on choosing the best plan for you.
Canadians must pay 30% of healthcare costs directly from their own pockets. This means that each province only pajys for ...
Most people can agree on the benefits of having health insurance during a medical emergency when they or their family ...
It's no secret that adding "near me" to your online searches makes it much easier to find businesses in your ...
If you've grown up in a country without health insurance or one where insurance isn't common, it can be an ...
Few things are as important as health insurance. From bumps and bruises to more serious mishaps, that insurance is what ...