Your parents want to be closer to you and have now put the ball in your court. You have to find a way to move them to Canada to live with you.
What’s more, they want you to start the CIC sponsorship program as soon as possible. We know you need help in starting and following the process steps.
You do not have to lose any more sleep worrying about this issue. We have all the CIC sponsorship process steps listed below.
We even break it down in simple, step-by-step instructions. This allows you to share the happy news you are completing the CIC sponsorship application. All any of you have to do is wait for the CIC paperwork to finish its review.
CIC Parents Sponsorship
We have good news about CIC parents sponsorship. On January 1, 2019, Canada opened the CIC sponsorship form.
On April 24, 2019, Canada invited potential sponsors to complete their applications.
The sponsorship form was open for a limited time. During that time, the Canadian government accepted 27,000 submissions using the first-in method.
After April 24, 2019, the Canadian government started inviting potential sponsors to submit a complete application.
By the end of April 2019, all the invitations were out to potential sponsors. The application the invited sponsors were filling out depended on the below criteria.
They had to have at least this minimum level to have a chance of being successful. They were;
- The sponsor had to support their parents financially.
- The parents of the sponsor do not need social or financial help from the Canadian government.
But that’s not the only two criteria you have to meet for a Canadian successful sponsorship application. You also;
- Have to be at least 18 years old at the time you are completing the CIC sponsorship application.
- You have to currently live in Canada.
- You have to be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- You have to be financially sound so you can provide proof you are able to take care of your parents.
How To Sponsor Parents to Canada
We have given you the general conditions of CIC sponsorship for having your parents live in Canada.
Now we are going to give you some special circumstances when you want to start a CIC sponsorship application for your parents to live in Canada.
Canada has some unique criteria if you live outside or inside Quebec. Let’s start with if you live in Quebec as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Responsibilities of Sponsor in Quebec
As a CIC sponsor, you are taking on the responsibilities and obligations of your parents toward the Government of Quebec. You also;
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The must file the sponsorship application to the Government of Canada’s Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada – IRCC agency.
- You must submit a financial undertaking promise. This financial promise is within your parents’ application to the Government of Quebec.
- Within that application, there will be criteria your parents have to meet. It is mandatory you get them to complete their part of the application before you do yours.
- It is vital you have all the documents the government is requesting about your parents before you turn in the application.
- You cannot submit your undertaking application until you turn in all your CIC sponsorship application documents per their regulations. You must receive confirmation form IRCC before you can submit the undertaking application.
- It may be tempting to wait until you receive the confirmation before you start filling out the undertaking application. That would be a mistake.
- Prepare your undertaking application in advance. That way once approved you have all the required documents you need to submit.
- You will send the application to Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion.
- Last but not least, the government of Quebec and Canada share immigration jurisdiction. If you are sponsoring a parent you must meet the requirements of both Quebec and Canada for CIC sponsorship approval.
Sponsor Your Parents
It seems like such a simple thing to do because you know how great your parents are and how wonderful Canada will be when you are all together.
But there are things you need to know and criteria met before you can even begin the legal processing for them to come to Canada.
There are many programs Canada offers so you can sponsor your parents. So if one fails there is another one which may work.
One of them is the Canada Super Visa Program. We recently wrote about the Canadian Super Visa Program for family members not to long ago on our blog.
About 100,000 applied for the Canadian Super Visa in January this year. The program is only for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or residents.
Created in 2011 by the Canadian government it is an effort to keep families integrated together.
What are the Super Visa Guidelines?
A super visa is a good place to start if your residency application is rejected. It doesn’t matter why this happens. It matters if you have an alternative you can pursue.
We are the best alternative. We can help you meet the health insurance criteria of the super visa.
That way you have more than met the health insurance criteria for your parents or grandparents living in Canada.
We have written articles on the insurance requirements for super visas. We have some of the best information on what insurance meets super visa criteria.
We will get you an insurance quote which not only meets the super visa criteria but also fits your budget.
The super visa is sometimes well suited for having your parents or grandparents come and live with you. It is for two years but you can apply for an extension.
Super Visa Step-by-Step Process
The super visa also has a step-by-step process for your parents or grandparents. We walk you through the process with the below list;
- Your parents or grandparents need to prove they are your parent or grandparent. You need to prove you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Your parent or grandparent must have a letter from you stating you are inviting them to stay in Canada.
- Your parent or grandparent must have Canadian health insurance.
- We can help your parent or grandparent get the best Canadian health insurance.
- We are a premier provider of health insurance. We explain health insurance comparisons in a step-by-step-process until the best decision is made.
- Your parents or grandparents will also have to list who else will be living in your home with them.
After all the above, your parent or grandparent will need to give you a letter of financial support.
There are financial requirements your parents or grandparents need to meet if they are coming to stay with you.
There are also financial requirements you need to meet if your family member is coming to live with you. Please make sure you check out these financial requirements prior to submitting the application.
CIC sponsorship is full of criteria you and your parents or grandparents need to meet.
None of the requirements can be skipped or overlooked. It is vital you include the answers within the application even if the answer is you don’t know.
Because you are the sponsor and your parents or grandparents are the ones you are sponsoring you must commit;
- There will be a financial undertaking for their sponsorship for the period of time they will be here and need it.
- Its name is the financial undertaking agreement because you are undertaking responsibility.
- This undertaking is in all financial need for the period they live in Canada.
People Who Cannot Sponsor a Parent or Grandparent in Canada
Below is listed some of the criteria which prevent you from sponsoring your parents or grandparents. The list includes, but is not limited to;
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Your income level does not meet the support criteria necessary for the people you wish to sponsor.
- If you are in jail or prison you may not be able to sponsor your parents or grandparents.
- If you failed to pay back an immigration loan, a performance bond, or court-ordered child support or alimony.
There are more specific and detailed criteria you need to meet for CIC sponsorship.
We enjoy going over some of the ways we work within our product guide to meet the super visa criteria needed. Criteria which will help you complete a successful sponsorship application.
What Do I Need to Do Next for my CIC Sponsorship Application?
Every CIC sponsorship application has a review period. This begins when it goes into the Government of Canada Immigration and Citizenship Agency Department.
Every document is checked off the document checklist to make sure you have turned in a completed application.
One of the critical and vital items on the checklist is health insurance. This is very true if you are applying under the Super Visa Application.
Don’t let your application be sent back to you as incomplete. Don’t take the chance and submit a Super Visa application knowing you don’t have the health insurance requirement you need.
We are one link away and will help you meet the criteria of the super visa. This will allow your parent or grandparent to be with the people they love the most.
It will allow you to feel the richness which a whole family provides. One that is there for you when you need them most. One that is there for you when the distance becomes too hard to bear.
Reach out to us today so you can be with those who mean the most to you.