What does PEI Health Plan not cover?
With the Health PEI, residents of PEI could obtain basic and medically necessary health insurance services in any of the hospitals in the province. The services include medical services, home care services, hospital services, and drug programs. However, some services are not covered by the plan, these include:
- Immunizations and examinations required by third parties.
- Services not considered as medical necessities such as cosmetic surgeries.
- Services of professionals such as acupuncturists, massage therapists, osteopaths, dieticians, homeopaths, audiologists, chiropractors, podiatrists, naturopaths, etc.
- Private and semi-private hospital rooms;
To learn more about supplemental health insurance companies and products in Prince Edward Island, click here.
Optometric services not covered by the provincial health plan
Health PEI does not cover services rendered by optometrists. It also does not cover eyeglasses and lenses.
To get a vision care quote, click here
Prescription drugs not covered by the provincial health plan
Health PEI has a very comprehensive drug program. You are eligible for either partial or full coverage in the PEI drug program if you are a senior, meet the financial criteria, and/or have a specific disease as described by the program. You may not qualify for the program if you already have private drug insurance.
To get a prescription drug quote click here.
Dental coverage not covered by the provincial health plan
Medically required dental services are covered by Health PEI. It is also required for the procedure to be carried out in a hospital and prior approval is needed. The following dental services are not covered under the provincial plan.
- Dental extractions unless the patient is required to be in a hospital and there is prior approval.
- Routine dental services such as extractions, cleanings, examinations, and fillings; unless they are medically necessary and carried out in a hospital.
To get dental coverage quote click here.