Health PEI does not cover prescription drugs on a general note. But if you are a senior citizen, meet some financial requirements and/or have certain diseases, you may be eligible for full or partial coverage. Some of the available drug programs include:
- • AIDS/HIV Drug Program
- • Catastrophic Drug Program
- • Children in Care Drug Program
- • Community Mental Health Drug Program
- • Cystic Fibrosis Drug Program
- • Diabetes Drug Program
- • Erythropoietin Drug Program
- • Family Health Benefit Drug Program
- • Financial Assistance Drug Program
- • Generic Drug Program
- • Growth Hormone Drug Program, and many others.
To avoid delays in the payment of out-of-province services, it is necessary to inform Health PEI ahead of time if you are traveling out of your province for more than a month. Further, Health PEI may not take full responsibility for the costs you incur in the case of out-of-country medical costs. Thus, it is advised you supplement your plan with a private travel insurance plan when you are traveling outside your province.