What does the MSI Nova Scotia Plan not cover?
The Nova Scotia Medical Service Insurance (MSI) and hospital program cover a range of services from laboratory and diagnostic services to medically necessary nursing.
However, it does not cover the following services:
- Services of paramedics such as naturopaths, chiropractors, massage therapists, osteopaths, physiotherapists, and podiatrists.
- Cosmetic surgery.
- Durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs and crutches.
- The cost difference between standard hospital rooms and semi-private/private hospital rooms.
Optometric services not covered by the provincial health plan
The provincial plan covers medically necessary optometric services, albeit, restrictions apply to the coverage. The following optometric services are not covered by the plan.
- Visioncare such as contact lenses, eye examinations and glasses for residents between 10 and 65 years.
- One eye examination every two years is covered only if the resident is under the age of 10 or over the age of 64.
To get vision care quote, click here.
Prescription drugs not covered by the provincial health plan
Nova Scotia prescription drug program is designed for eligible residents who cannot afford their prescription.
The following features are not covered under the prescription drug program.
- Prescription medications are not covered for those under the age of 65.
- Residents are required to have a valid health card to be covered by the prescription drug program.
- Senior pharmacare is available to Nova Scotians who are 65 and older and have no other private or public drug coverage.
To get a prescription drug health quote, click here.
Dental coverage not covered by the provincial health plan
Only medically necessary dental services carried out in a hospital are covered by the Nova Scotia plan. The following services are not covered.
- Routine dental services such as scalings, fillings, and cleanings unless the person is under the age of 14.
- Oral and maxillary facial surgeries are covered if medically necessary and carried out in a hospital.
To get a dental health quote, click here.