Vietnam Travel Insurance

Get Travel Insurance now and discover more about Vietnam
Compare. Get the best policy. Save money!
Get a Quote Now
Travellers Reading Map On Vacation

Travel Insurance Overview

vietnam flag

Canada shares a strong bilateral relationship with Vietnam in terms of people-to-people ties, development assistance, international education, and so forth. The countries also relate in terms of trade and investment as well as business.

Since 2015, Vietnam has been Canada’s largest trading partner in the ASEAN region. Canadians visit Vietnam for various purposes primarily for trade, business, and investment. Tourism is also an important reason why Canadians visit Vietnam.

Although Canadians are required to exercise a high degree of caution and be wary of Zika virus, it is equally important to be cautious about your health. The best precaution for you would be to get the right Vietnam travel insurance before you leave Canada. This would ensure that you are covered when you travel to Vietnam.

To get an instant quote on Vietnam travel insurance, click here.

Travel Insurance Details

Basic Information About Vietnam

Some important information on Vietnam Travel Insurance that we think you’ll want to know before you travel.

Name Value
Currency Vietnamese dong
Official language Vietnamese
Capital Hanoi
Continent Asia
Population Approx. 92.7 million
Plug type Plug type A, B, and C
Driving side Right-hand side
  • Spring - March to May
  • Summer - June to August
  • Autumn - September to November
  • Winter - December to February
Laws Local laws and customs


To read more about Vietnam travel insurance, click here.

Vietnam Security Measures for travelers

The Government of Canada will not be responsible for your personal safety when you travel abroad to Vietnam, you are responsible for your safety. But we provide you credible information in our Travel Advice to help you to make informed decisions as regards traveling abroad.

Risk Level

Vietnam – Exercise a high degree of caution

Due to increasing petty crime targeting foreigners, exercise a high degree of caution in Vietnam.

Entry / Exit requirements

Vietnam, just like every other country, decides who enters or exits its borders. The Government of Canada will not interfere with the country’s decision with respect to the entry and exit rules.

The information on this page was obtained from Vietnamese authorities; however, it can change at any time. Moreover, you can verify the information with foreign diplomatic missions and consulates in Canada.


The applicable entry requirements depend on the type of passport you use to travel. Find out about passport requirement from your transportation company before you travel.

  • Regular Canadian Passport - You must hold a passport valid for a minimum of one month beyond the duration you intend to stay in Vietnam.
  • Passport for official travel - Different rules may apply. Learn more about official travel here.
  • Other travel documents - When traveling with an emergency travel document or a temporary passport, the applicable entry rules may differ. Check with the closest diplomatic mission for Vietnam before you leave.

Useful Links

To learn more about Vietnam travel insurance, click here.

Vietnam Healthcare

There are oodles of public and private hospitals and healthcare centers in Vietnam. However, healthcare facilities and services in Vietnam may not be up to Canada’s standard but the cost of medical treatment could be expensive. Also, some hospitals may expect cash payment; so, it is important to travel with enough money to cover potential costs and the right Vietnam travel insurance.

For more information about healthcare in Vietnam, click here.

Vietnam Travel Insurance News

Sun Life Financial signed a deal with PVI Holdings in Vietnam in 2012 to form a life insurance joint venture. The Canada-based insurer intended to continue its strategy of expanding its presence in southeast Asia.

Dean Connor, Sun Life president and CEO said that they feel confident that they have the right partner to become a market leader with PVI. As an investment and insurance company, PVI’s subsidiaries are focused on reinsurance, life insurance, general insurance, and other financial services.

Sun Life already had a presence in some other Asian countries such as Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Mainland China, and India. Vietnam was then added to the number. According to the agreement, PVI will own 51% of PVI Sun Life while the Toronto-based Sun Life will own the rest of the 49%.

However, in November 2015, Sun Life acquired an additional 26% of the company’s equity from PVI Holdings and increased its stake in PVI Sun Life from 49% to 75%, leaving the rest 25% for PVI.

To learn more about Vietnam travel insurance news click here.

Travel Insurance Related Pages

By City
By Province
By Country

Vietnam Travel Insurance FAQ

Do you need a Visa for travelling to Vietnam?

Can I buy multiple travel insurance policies?

Does travel insurance cover doctor visits?

Can I buy travel insurance the day I leave?

How long does a travel insurance claim take?

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram