Provincial Health Plans > NWT Health Plan
The NWT Health Care Plan is a provincial health care plan provided by the government of the Northwest Territories to all NWT residents that are eligible for the health care coverage and it offers the below benefits and coverage.
NWT Health Care Physician Services
Here are the physician services covered by the NWT Health Care.
- • Surgeries, anesthetics, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injuries, when required.
- • Surgery when medically necessary.
- • Pre-natal and post-natal care or more generally obstetrical care.
- • Procedures and treatments rendered by an ophthalmologist such as eye exams.
- • Certain dental services related to jaw disease or injury.
The physician services below are not insured:
- • Cosmetic processes.
- • General exams such as physical exams as well as examinations required by a third party.
- • Experimental procedures.
- • Prescription drugs.
- • Regular dental services such as fillings, exams, cleanings, and extractions.
- • Paramedical services such as the service of massage therapists, chiropractors, podiatrists, naturopaths, osteopaths, and acupuncturists.
NWT Health Care Hospital Services
The services below are covered both in-patient and out-patient basis, provided they are offered by a hospital in the Northwest Territory.
- • Nursing services rendered within the hospital.
- • Meals and accommodations available in standard wards only.
- • Prescription drugs prescribed by a doctor and administered in a hospital.
- • Laboratory work, x-rays, interpretive services and other diagnostic services.
- • Use of anesthetics, medical equipment, and operating room.
- • Detoxification services, especially when provided in a healthcare facility approved by the government.
- • Therapy treatments such as radiotherapy, occupational therapy, and
The following hospital services are not covered by the plan:
- • Coverage for private and semi-private rooms, however, standard ward coverage is applied.
- • With the exception of transfers between hospitals, ambulance services are not covered.
- • All dental services not related to jaw injuries and/or disease.
- • Cosmetic surgeries and the related charges.
- • Services considered as experiments.
- • Unless rehabilitation services for drugs and alcohol addicts are approved beforehand, they are not covered.
Health Benefits offered to Metis Residents
Indigenous Metis residents can take advantage of the Northwest Territory supplementary health benefits. You need to first apply for the Metis Health Benefit program to become eligible for these benefits.
This program covers the following:
- • Complete coverage for eligible dental expenses such as scaling, routine checkups, orthodontics, and cleanings.
- • 100% coverage for eligible expenses on prescription drugs.
- • Vision care including eye glasses, lenses and so forth. Eligible residents 18 and above can take advantage of this every 2 years. For residents younger than 18, this is available every 12 months.
- • Cost of medical travels incurred when traveling outside your community to receive treatments not available in the community.
- • Customary and reasonable charges to durable medical supplies and equipment such as walkers, diabetic supplies, custom footwear and orthotic, oxygen supplies, and wheelchair.
NWT Health Care Extended Health Benefits
Non-aboriginal and Metis residents can also take advantage of the extended health benefits coverage for specific diseases. This covers medical equipment and supplies as well as prescription drugs.