Learn about Greater Sudbury Health Insurance Plan
Greater Sudbury is an Ontarian city located in the northern part of Ontario. It is the most populated city in Northern Ontario and the 29th most populated city in Canada, with a population of 161,531, based on the 2016 Canadian population census. Furthermore, its metro population is 164,689, making it the 24th most populated metropolitan area in Canada. Greater Sudbury is the largest city in Ontario and the fifth largest in Canada, by land area. Its city land area is 3,228.35 square kilometers and its metropolitan land area is 3,924.48 square kilometers. Hence, its city and metro population densities are 49.7 and 49.5 per square kilometer respectively.
In the 20th century, the city’s economy was heavily dominated by the mining industry. However, by 2006, up to 80% of the labor force was employed by the service industry and the remaining 20% employed in the manufacturing industry. The city has more than 345 mining and service industry. Furthermore, the city’s economy has largely diversified nowadays, making the city a center for tourism, health care, education, finances, science and technology, and government.
Greater Sudbury is a center for art and culture. The city’s art is influenced by the community of the large Franco-Ontario. The community consists of about 40% of the city’s population. Greater Sudbury has two art galleries, namely, the Art Gallery of Sudbury and La Galerie du Nouvel- Ontario. The city also has several festivals with Cinefest Sudbury International Film Festival as its primary annual film festival.
To learn more about Greater Sudbury, click here.